Fashion Bloggers, Influencers and Style Collaborations
We’ve been fortunate to work with hundreds of fashion bloggers, celebrities and social media influencers over the past year. Most of our collaborations have been amazing, benefiting our brand and those who have styled our apparel and accessories. For those who have put their best efforts into our collaborations, we are supremely grateful, and your commitment and effort shines through the resulting good work. We’ve also witnessed the dark, selfish side of extending our trust to some who have pleaded to have a free shirt to style and then disappear or offer a thoughtless “bathroom selfie”.
After the good and the bad, we still love to collaborate with self-made fashionistas who believe in what Le Motto stands for. While we count hundreds of wonderful collaborations so far, we have unfortunately had to turn down thousands more. We wish we could accommodate every blogger who asks for a free shirt, but we’d go bankrupt if we did, so please understand if we can’t accommodate everyone at all times. To help facilitate our collaborations, we have put together a quick checklist of how we work with bloggers.
- Communication. Number one is respectful communication. If we are to work together, we communicate with each other promptly. We’re both incredibly busy, we know, but we’ll do our best to show you how much we value you by not ignoring you. Please do the same.
- Action. Again, we know how busy you are and we’re not far behind, but if we say we’ll send you a shirt and you say you’ll publish photos within a certain date range, let’s keep our commitments to each other.
- Quality. We’re sending you a product of our hard work and imagination – one of which we have invested time and money. We are proud of what we share with you and if we’re working with you, we have seen the potential you possess to also deliver a great product in the form of a thoughtful, fashionable photo-styling. All we ask is that you put your best foot forward and apply the creativity you have previously displayed into your photos when it’s our turn to see you styling your Le Motto. Bathroom selfies or equivalent shots where it seems clear you’d rather be doing something else doesn’t help either of us.
- That follow-unfollow-follow-unfollow-x100 thing… Sometimes, this might get our attention, but it’s much easier to send us an email to service@LeMotto.com and let us know what you’d like to do and why. Please refer to #1 – communication is key.
- About that “follow thing”… When we receive an offer to “collab” from a blogger or Instagrammer who’s not following and/or engaging our social media accounts, it’s a bit difficult to believe you really like our brand.
- Spam? Often, we receive many generic flattering emails that mention how the blogger loves our “products”, but doesn’t mention them with any specificity or mention our brand. We view these as spammy email blasts looking for free product, and we unfortunately can’t accommodate you.
- Shared creative. Shared use. When we repost your photos on our social media, we tag you so that our audience knows who’s providing such good work. If we notice you on other social media feeds without attribution, we let you know and/or ask the poster to provide proper attribution. We also thank you for doing the same. If we collaborate where we provide you with our merchandise without charge, we reserve the right to use your images to support our brand, but we will NEVER sell your images.
- To pay or not to pay, that is the question. We maintain an advertising budget and an editorial budget. We pay for ads to help us reach new customers, but our focus for blogger and social media collaborations is based upon an editorial relationship. This means we agree to collaborations where we don’t charge for our merchandise and the blogger receives high-quality, unique merchandise that provides quality content for a blog post and/or social media photos, but we don’t want to be perceived as paying a blogger to say nice things about us. Together, we raise our respective brand visibility this way.
- THANK YOU! To the bloggers, celebs and other public figures who could ask for free merchandise, but support Le Motto as a customer (i.e. someone who buys her or his apparel), “WE LOVE YOU!” We’re super grateful for our customers as they keep our business alive and growing.
This outline might seem like common sense to most of us, but we decided to state the obvious because we’ve had some “collaborations-gone-bad” that would make reasonable people gasp, then maybe laugh and then text “SMH”. Fortunately, there are some sites where brands can share unfortunate experiences to help brands avoid some of these issues, but we are also super happy to serve as a reference for our blogger friends who do amazing work, too. Reciprocity: we both benefit when we engage with purpose and give best efforts.
So, if this all sounds reasonable, let’s explore a collaboration! Email us your details (name, social media links, thoughts about what we might do together and when, etc.) and we’ll give it a prompt review. You can reach us at service@LeMotto.com.
Thanks, and keep spreading good words!
NOTE TO RECIPIENTS OF A COMPLIMENTARY SHIRT FROM LE MOTTO IN RETURN FOR AN AGREED-UPON COLLABORATION: FAILURE TO PUBLISH THE AGREED UPON PROMOTIONAL POST(S) WITHIN 90 DAYS OF THE SHIRT’S SHIPPING DATE WILL TRIGGER AN INVOICE FROM LE MOTTO LLC TO THE RECIPIENT OF THE SHIRT, DUE AND PAYABLE IMMEDIATELY, UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED IN WRITING AND ACCEPTED IN WRITING BY A DULY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF LE MOTTO LLC. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE COMMITMENTS AGREED IN THE COLLABORATION MEANS YOU AGREE TO PURCHASE THE SHIRT AT FULL RETAIL PRICE AND PAY FOR THE SHIRT WITHIN 3 DAYS OF RECEIVING THE INVOICE FOR THE SHIRT FROM LE MOTTO.